Friday, May 12, 2017

More Student Words

Vol 1. No 21

The following comes from David Drake, who is graduating this semester with 18 credits of Honors and transferring on to SUNY Oswego to major in Creative Writing and Linguistics.

"When I saw that the Honors Studies program would be full of active classes centered around seminar discussions rather than around lectures, I was thrilled! I knew I would benefit from this learning environment--students taking charge of discussions, instructors participating in homework assignments with the students, the atmosphere of autonomous learning (especially when given the option to pursue my curiosity with an Honors contract for a non-Honors course)--it was, in a word, perfect! Classrooms were full of mutual respect, even during times of challenges. Students collectively overcame obstacles together, and because of that, the students learned from each other just as much--and sometimes more--from the professor. And I think it was the same way with the professors: Their learning experiences continued by facilitating these Honor Studies courses. I am, simply and sincerely, honored to have been a part of the Finger Lakes Community College Honors Studies program!"

We wish Dave, and all the Honors Graduates, the very best as they head onward in their journey.


No comments:

Post a Comment