Sunday, September 29, 2019

Family - Guest Blog


Vol 4 No 4.

The following blog was written by Blinne Krieger (Class of 2018). She has gone on to SUNY Potsdam, where she is majoring in History with a minor in Classical Studies. While at FLCC, she was extremely active in Honors Studies at FLCC, and I think we benefited from her involvement as much as she did....

Family.

A group of people that you are tied to not in blood but in bond, people that you choose to surround yourself with. I have always believed that your family is, above all, those who you make a conscious effort to become close to. It is not an obligation that has you dragging your feet, but a chance to form a connection with those you find exciting and engaging. Honors was my family at FLCC.

From the moment that I sat down in my first Honors class (shout out to my Development of Modern Horror 2018 crew) I knew that the students, and professor, surrounding me was the piece of the puzzle that was missing during my first semester at FLCC. Effortlessly I slid into place in this group that I affectionately called my Honors Family. Quickly, I met more and more people who were a part of this family, from faculty to students to staff, and with each new friendly face I became more and more excited about Honors and my part in it all.

We've all been struck with the urge to help some time or another. Big or small, from smiling at a stranger to donating a kidney to someone in need, we all have done something to help others. After only one semester, I knew I wanted to help my newfound family and potential family members by providing a space to indulge in the warmth of Honors outside of the classroom. I had already been helped so much by Honors, it seemed inevitable that I felt drawn towards fostering that effect for others. And so, with the endless encouragement of Dr. Trista Merrill and the collaboration of my classmates, the Honors Club came into being.

Don't get me wrong, it was not so simple as snapping my fingers and saying "okay we're a club now." No, it took time, dedication, a good deal of brainstorming, and, above all, a desire to make it happen. This process was quite similar to writing a term paper. The topic was something that I was deeply passionate about and I had a general idea of how to frame it, I just had to sit down and put my fingers to the keyboard. Easier said than done? Of course it was, but the satisfaction I got from working with my Honors Family on such an important project and seeing it come to life was more rewarding than spending hours on that essay, turning it in all bone and brain tired, then seeing that I got an A on it. It was the kind of satisfaction that sits deep in your bones, hollows them out, and lets you fly with your newfound lightness.

From the nitty gritty of writing the Club Constitution to chatting with classmates about why we loved Honors, each moment was well worth my time because I was creating something for others that, hopefully, would help them and bring them that special kind of joy you can only find surrounded by your Honors Family. You know the kind I'm talking about. That warm and fuzzy environment built on supporting your passions while challenging your thoughts to help build you into a better student, person, Honors Family Member. That is what I and my classmates set out to build with the Honors Club.

All the time I hear people say that they would do anything for their family. Well, Honors is my family, and I know that nothing could stand in the way of me helping them. Anything from hugging a classmate who needed it to taking the leap and presenting at the Honors Convocation, anything from grabbing a bite to eat at the bi-annual Honors Dinner to breathing life into a space for my family to thrive, I have done it and would do it all again. Think for a moment. No, really, stop reading and think about it. Does Honors call to you, even if its not how it called to me? What could you do to show your love and appreciation for this family? What will you do?


No comments:

Post a Comment