Friday, March 6, 2020

LFG: Salamander Quest!


Vol 14 No 15

The blog below speaks for itself.  I hope you can join the quest!

Hi all!  
                My name is John Bateman and I am an instructor in the Department of Environmental Conservation.  I’m in my second year at FLCC, and currently teach an honors section of   I’m a herpetologist by trade (herpetology is the study of reptiles and amphibians), and I specialize in salamanders and frogs.  Outside of the classroom, I organize a large volunteer effort to help save amphibians down at FLCC’s Muller Field Station on Honeoye Lake, and this is the reason I am reaching out to you.
                The frogs and salamanders I work with endure winter underground, with some of them spending that time completely frozen.  When March arrives and signs of spring start showing up (warm days and rainy nights), they thaw out or awake from their sleep, and begin their migration to their breeding grounds to complete their life cycle.  Down at Muller Field Station, this is quite the treacherous journey for them as County Road 36 bisects their path.  It turns into a real-life game of “Frogger” (some of you may have to Google that game), and many don’t make it.  There is a larger issue at play here, too.   Globally, amphibians are experiencing significant declines.  There are more species of amphibians threatened by extinction than those of birds and mammals combined, and this is why I work with these animals.  In 2019, we moved close to 4,000 frogs and salamanders across the road over four nights and had less than a 5% mortality rate.  That total number moved is actually low compared to past years.  There have been single nights where more than 5,000 were moved in just a few hours!  As for the roadkill, my goal is to get that 5% even closer to zero, but I need your help.  The amphibians make their crossing over about a ¾-mile stretch of road, so I need a lot of people to cover that large of an area.   Don’t feel like you need to be an expert in amphibians to help, as I will cover the basics on proper handling and ID techniques.  And no, they do not bite.  While you may not be crazy about the idea of handling something that is wet, cold, and most likely unappreciative, it is a noble cause.  Without our help there would be carnage on the road, and we’re not sure how long their populations would persist without our intervention.
                While you might not be keen on amphibians (yet…), they play a vital role in the environment.  They are eating the insects that you consider pests, and are also food for the more charismatic birds and mammals you might be fond of.  Perhaps, too, you’ll gain an appreciation for these critters.  These animals rarely evoke enthusiasm, are often misunderstood, and deemed insignificant or persecuted by humans (heck – the word herpetology is based off the Greek herpes, meaning a creeping thing), but their lives have value.  I’ve been fortunate to have crossed paths with a few students who share my passion for these creatures.  Some of them shared that they found a love for amphibians because they, too, felt society viewed them in these negative ways and were able to draw parallels between their lives and that of a toad.  I hope you might be willing to look past any inherent fear or preconceived notions you might have of these creatures as they will not hurt you.  I promise.  Plus, there’s the possibility of seeing some other cool animals, like screech owls and flying squirrels.  Memories will be made, selfies will be taken, and you’ll go to bed that night knowing that you did a good deed.
                If you are interested I invite you to reach out to me.  My email is salamanders@flcc.edu, or you can pop by my office (#2238 in the conservation wing) and I can add you to the group chat.  The nights we work depend entirely on the weather (warm and rainy), and I do my best to send alerts out a day in advance.  Carpooling is recommended, and most nights there will be a 15-passenger van bringing folks down and back.  We typically work from 7-10ish.  Hope to see you there!


No comments:

Post a Comment