Monday, October 19, 2020

You know what they say...

 Vol 5 No 5

Three things to talk about this week.

First, tomorrow is Laker Day and I encourage everyone to do something for yourself that might fall under the category of self-care.  In my classes, I’m inviting students to participate in a Laker Day activity if they can, and if they can’t, to engage in something they don’t always make time to do.  Bake cookies, read a book, talk a walk, go for a drive, draw a picture, call a friend, paint, draw, compose, sculpt, go to a pumpkin patch and pick out a pumpkin, meditate, practice yoga.  Something that doesn’t involve WebEx or homework, school or work.  Take time for you.  Celebrate who YOU are and recharge your internal batteries.  The world is demanding so much strength and resilience and persistence from us right now and I hope you are all doing that each and every day.  But we must remember to also breathe and relax.  It is so important to our ability to sustain our strength.  Time off can help you make the most of the times you have to be on task.  Here’s a few ideas…

Second, last week Vera led five students, myself, and AVP Cassy Kent in a fascinating discussion about all the things that ‘coming out’ might mean to those in the LGBTQ+ community.  We chatted from multiple perspectives and I, personally, learned some very important things about how to be a better Ally to my friends in the queer community.  Including the friends I have not yet met!  It was a great conversation and I think those who were there would agree with me.  It was the first major talk in our series this semester and that leads to the third thing.

Third, this week’s talk is on Wednesday from 5:00 – 6:00 (password 2020).  Invitations have gone out and I hope that we will see lots of faces that evening.  April is a librarian here at FLCC and, specifically, they are the Honors librarian.  There has been much made of pronoun usage of late and many who bristle at the use of ‘they’ as a singular pronoun.  Many of those who bristle are my own colleagues in the world of English education.  I myself am someone who had to train myself to stop ‘correcting’ student papers when I saw ‘they’ used in the singular.  I am happy to say that I learned, somewhere along the way, that they as a singular pronoun has been around for….well…come to the talk to find out!  You may be surprised!  I have retrained myself and broken the habit and I can’t wait to talk about that and other things at our gathering.  I bet I will learn even more things that will help in my ever-continuing quest to be a better member of the world around me.  Things are changing – and some things that never should have changed are changing BACK and it is a wonderful thing.  We may still have a long way to go, but we are making strides forward and talks like this will only help.  And so, I encourage you to join us for an hour and feel free to bring a friend.  Furry friends also welcome (so long as they are not too disruptive to our chat!).  I cannot wait for this one as I know that April not only has anecdotal and lived experience to share, but they also have that librarian’s love of great information and resources!  Oh, and it is not accident that this talk is taking place on International Pronouns Day.

International Pronouns Day

Note:  I reserve the right to remove anyone from the WebEx room who is clearly not there in good faith. FLCC and FLCC’s Honors Studies strives to be an open, inclusive, welcoming, and judgement free space and we will not tolerate the presence of those who are counter to that. 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment