Tuesday, September 14, 2021

Come Chatterbox with Us....

Hello and well met, friends!

I am excited to have just completed the second week of the semester and beginning the third.  We still seem to be holding healthy and though there’s a flurry of activity around testing, vaccinations, and uploading paperwork, there is also a steady focus on learning and getting back into the swing of education in an actual classroom.  I hope that you are finding the transition a relatively painless one though I suspect that many of you, like me, are finding it remarkably exhausting as well.  It’s okay to be tired and a little overwhelmed.  Hopefully things are going to settle down for us all and we will forge ahead with a semester of good learning and good experiences at FLCC.

I’m pleased to announce that we will be continuing the Honors Talk Series this semester, with an added twist!  Since we are now back on campus, I’m happy to say that our talks can now be a mixture of in-person and virtual.  FLCC has these amazing classrooms that are fitted to serve students who are remote as well as ones sitting in the room so I think that is a perfect way for us to have these talks.  This allows you to choose each time; you can come to an actual room with the speakers and hang out with others (masked, of course!) or log in from the comfort of your car, home, or wherever else.  Either option will allow you to participate in any discussion, ask questions, and be present in real time.  So far, this is what we are working on...

  • “Cultivating Curiosity” with Dr. Jonathan Keiser, Provost of FLCC
  • “What I Did With My Liberal Arts Degree” with three FLCC alumni: Mandi Brown (’09), Jeff Dugan (’12), and Cheyenne Wilke (’15)
  • "Exploring Science in Our World" with John Bateman, Assistant Professor in Conservation
  • “Marketing and Selling Your Art” with Sara Jackson (’12)
  • “Tales from the West Coast” with Riot Games narrative writer Ro Williams
  • “Wooly to Wearable, the Joy of Sheep Keeping” with Lydia Garofalo (’21)
  • "Cultural Competency and Cultural Humility" with Nasim Sarvaiya, Assistant Professor of Social Science
  • "Inhumane Humanitarianism" with Jade Myers (’12)
  • "Addiction and Navigating Sobriety" with Jenna Williams (’20)
  • "Mental Wellness in a World that Doesn't Value It" with Laura Johnson, Bookstore Director at FLCC

I think this is an AMAZING list and I hope there is something on here that you find interesting.  We will have dates and descriptions coming soon, so keep your eyes open.

You may have also noticed, if you are enrolled in an FLCC Honors class this semester, that you are now getting emails from me.  I hope this will help us to communicate more smoothly.  We also have Facebook and I am in the process of setting up a Discord for Honors.  Let me know if you want to be part of this project.  Perhaps you even want to help resurrect the Honors Club at FLCC?  There are so many ways to get involved and I hope that you will find your place at FLCC and in FLCC Honors. 



No comments:

Post a Comment