Monday, December 5, 2016

Found Honors

Vol. 1 No. 12
Recently, the Honors Advisory Board developed and conducted a survey of all students enrolled in an Honors course in the Fall 2016 semester.  I don’t know a lot about data and the like, but they tell me that the 26 responses we got back was an excellent return.  I hope to get even more next time we conduct one.  Those that did respond said some amazing things about Honors, though, and I would like to let you see what they said.  To that end, I’ve created a ‘found poem’ – where I built a poem using only the words that were provided on the survey.  The only changes I made were some spelling and tenses here and there.  Other than that, I simply rearranged phrases, shortened sentences, and removed some punctuation to come up with what you see below.  I hope you enjoy.

Honors Survey, 2016

I. The dedicated faculty...

My teachers have been wonderful
truly engaged with both the students and material
They set a great example for their students
and do much to encourage and sustain inquisitiveness
Relatable…
I like how they care about how we do and don't want us to do badly
they are genuinely invested in our education
Knowledgeable but humble and approachable
Teacher's teaching ability…hard work and preparation.
Caring…
The willingness of honors teachers
to go on a 25 minute tangent from the original discussion
to answer a legitimate question you had
about how the subject relates to something else
Eagerness…
Each faculty member is unique and has an interesting perspective
I find these individuals incredibly intelligent
and I want to learn as much as I possibly can from them.
                their dedication to ensure an actual learning experience occurs.
                                                                                    Realness…
Always…seem to care very deeply about what they’re teaching
this makes it much easier as a student to feel engaged
how dedicated they are to their work.
professionalism mixed with fun discussions
Understanding…
The teacher is mostly hands off…

II. The classroom scenery

The relaxed atmosphere is so comforting especially during stressful times
It allows us to learn the way I think we should;
Allowing for students to guide class discussion
Everyone in the class has the same or more interest in the topic as I do

The connection you build with your classmates
because of the small groups you're taught in
                When students teach each other they learn more
and are more interested and motivated to study as well

The small classes, comforting atmosphere,
class discussion rather than lecture, interesting topics
Honors classes attract individuals interested in learning
and having fun while doing so…the atmosphere

III. The honors experience…

It has been one of the best experiences of my life
It's unlike any class I’ve ever had
Honors have been an amazing experience
It helped me to see things differently
Honors just needs to be experienced to be fully understood



1 comment:

  1. Data interpreted by a gifted story teller; my favorite way. I am glad the survey is helping illuminate what Honors is and can be.

    ReplyDelete